I am going through a personal crisis at the moment and have been feeling very stressed! I really want to get back to creating new recipes and posting them but I can’t concentrate and have fallen out of my creative flow. I think my creativity is returning as I am inspired to write this post!
Here are my tips on how to deal with life when it becomes stressful and overwhelming:
- Get enough sleep – you need more sleep that normal when you are stressed, so it is important to go to bed early and also takes naps throughout the day if possible.
- Talk to someone – a problem shared is a problem halved. Speak to a trusted family member or friend, they may be able to help you process what is going on in your life and give you advice.
- Breathe – when we are stressed we tend to breath very shallowly and we don’t get enough oxygen. Take a few deep breaths. Breathe in and then exhale and release all the stress and tension.
- Keep a routine – falling out of your routine such as eating at irregular times and going to bed late will just put more stress on your body at a time when it needs extra care.
- Eat foods rich in zinc – when we are stressed our body uses up zinc very fast and it is vital to many processes in the body such as wound healing. Examples of foods high in zinc include pumpkins seeds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, spinach, cashew nuts, beans, chickpeas, chocolate, seafood and chicken.
- Meditate – if you know how to meditate take 15 minutes in the morning before you do anything to sit cross-legged on the floor, breath and clear your mind. It can take a while to still an over active mind, but eventually the thoughts will stop and your adrenal system will calm down, leaving you with a sense of peace.
- Exercise – go for a walk and get some fresh air, you will feel better. You could go running, do yoga or put on your favourite music and dance. The release of endorphins will uplift you leaving you feeling happy and relaxed.
- Find a solution – instead of worrying about a problem, find a solution and then act on it. Find a way to improve it or leave the stressful situation.
- Write down your thoughts – sometimes it helps to write down everything that is bothering you. Take a notepad and write until you feel better. It can be very therapeutic.
- Do something you enjoy – take your mind off it by doing an activity you enjoy. It may be listening to your favourite music, going to the cinema, going to the beach, painting, reading etc.
- Ask for help – if you find yourself losing track of time trying to come to terms with a stressful situation, or are lacking in energy and motivation ask your family members for help with everyday task such as cooking, chores, or even financial support. Most of the time they will be happy to help.
- Listen to relaxing music – the slow rhythm of relaxation music will quickly calm down an over active nervous system and get your brain into an alpha brainwave state.
- Have a bath – put a few drop of lavender oil in a warm bath or use Epsom Salts which are high in magnesium, a natural muscle relaxant and switch off.
I hope these tips help you to de stress and bring back your peace of mind!